CBS Kilkenny Student Council
A Little About Us
The Student Council at CBS Kilkenny is an elected body of students who look after the needs of all students in the school.
It provides students with the opportunity to become involved in the affairs of the school, working in partnership with school management, staff and parents.
It always works for the benefit of the school and its students.
What is a Student Council?
A Student Council is a representative structure through which students can become involved in the affairs of the school, working in partnership with school management, staff and parents for the benefit of the school and its students.
Why have a Student Council?
The 2005 report from the Second-Level Students Councils in Ireland identified the following advantages to having a Student Council:
- Creates a positive school atmosphere.
- Creates a caring school environment which is supportive and inclusive.
- A vehicle for student participation.
- Beneficial impact on issues such as discipline, bullying and Staff-Student relations.
- Creates educational opportunities for students.
- Provides an interactive learning environment.
- Students can develop communication and leadership skills, responsibility and accountability.
- Valuable resource to management, teachers and other students.
Key Functions of a Student Council
The functions and activities of the Student Council should support the aims and objectives of the Council and promote the development of the school and welfare of its students. In planning and undertaking activities during the course of the year, the Student Council should:
Our Student Council at CBS Kilkenny has undertaken a wide range of activities over the past number of years that have benefited the whole school community:
- Liaising with Principal and Board of Management on issues of concern to students
- Promoting good communications within the school community on activities, through the Student Council notice-board and making presentations at staff meetings
- Making contributions to school newsletters
- Contributing to the development of school policy. The Student Council has actively contributed to the development of school policy in such areas as the Anti–Bullying Policy, IT Policy and Code of Behaviour Policy
- Assisting at official functions and events, eg. attending the 150th celebrations of CBS Kilkenny, Awards Night, Open Night, Scholarship Presentations, Presentations to Retiring Staff, Seachtain na Gaeilge and Mental Health Week
- Organising fundraising events for charities. Our Student Council has fundraised for a wide variety of charities, St. Vincent de Paul, Meningitis Foundation, Zambian Immersion Project and Zambia Change for Change Appeal.
- Inviting guest speakers to address the student body on a wide variety of issues affecting students today.
Objectives of CBS Kilkenny Student Council
Our Objectives are: